Thursday 29 August 2013

The A* Grade Challenge

Results day has come and gone. Doomsday of this year is now history.

So what did you get I hear you say? Well, allow me to provide some background information.

Since the first day of sixth form, my primary aim was to achieve AAAA. I took History, Biology, English Lit and Religious Studies. I did great at GCSE, and I was pretty determined to replicate that success in my AS year – well I was partially successful let’s say. During Easter, realism started to dawn on me so I lowered my expectations to AAAB, the B being in Biology. No matter how hard I worked, getting an A in Biology was seriously delusional; it’s like asking God to give you wings?! To sum up in a word; impossible. Literally. There was absolutely NO WAY in the world I would get an A in Biology; zero, zilch, nada, nil. So what did I get?

 Religious Studies – A
• History – A
• Biology – B
• English – for the love of literature, I’ll let you imagine what I got.


With the first three subjects, I WAS GOD-DAMN DELIGHTED. I literally leapt for joy when I saw them. Woohoo! And then I saw English…well ya’. Imagine my facial expression when I saw my English grade. Now there could be two possible problems: either a marking error or I got the exam technique wrong, now trust me, getting the exam technique wrong is a fatal MISTAKE. Either ways, my coursework mark brought my grade up surprisingly. I didn’t react stupidly. If I didn’t get an A in History, I would have went to the Home Office, get my death certificate issued and bury myself alive in a cemetery (obviously, where else?). Ahh the irony is so evident.

So what’s my plan for Year 13?

I’m embarking on the A* grade challenge! This is a project started by a fellow blogger Sanam (check out her UH-MAZE-ING blog at thechiclifestyle.com) so I thought I'd join along side her- after all doing things as a pair or a group will guarantee that you don't run out of fuel). For my A2 year, I’ve dropped Biology and in its place I’m going to take the EPQ (never mind the calculator opposite by the way- I don't study maths). So now I’m setting my sights on achieving an A* in all my other subjects and apply to my dream university (yes Oxford, I’m talking about you!). I've always dream't about going to Oxford- a childhood dream if I'm honest. Oxbridge is in the dream of every idealist, wanting to reach the academic heights of their discipline. Looking at the architecture just makes your heart melt. Simply stunning. *continues to daydream*.

New College, Oxford.
Seriously. I’m more than determined to achieve them. There is nothing more I hate than getting an average grade at something I know I can do amazingly well at.

So since my hard work paid off last year, I plan on working just as hard. Although having said this, I’m going to have to work extra harder. A2 level content is a lot tougher than AS so practising the exam technique is going to be unavoidable- DO YOU HEAR ME FUTURE RAHMA? No such thing as “I’m going to write this essay tomorrow cos I’m too tired now.” If you catch me doing this, you are entitled to giving me a cyber-slap. I deserve it.

Yes. And alongside study, I will be taking part in the Young Reporters Scheme. It’s a competition aimed at young people who are considering a career in journalism. It lasts 8 months long and I will be writing an article every month. Also, after my exams are completed, I will take part in the Julia Wood prize, a history essay writing competition for sixth formers at Oxford University. I plan to apply to university post A-Level, so after I have my full A-Level grades.

This will be a monthly update to let you all know how I’m getting along; what has worked and failed, some tips and the miracles that have occurred along the way.

So, are you willing to take part in the A* grade challenge?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read comments and I'll get back to them all soon enough, so thank you! x