Thursday 31 October 2013

The A* Grade Challenge October Update: Gatsby, Fundamentalism and Motivation

Rather than rambling on and on, I'm going to go straight to the point.

I've decided to adapt to a specific structure. I'm not going to focus on every subject for all updates, I'm just going to pick out specific topics that I've learnt. Not only will it make it short and snappy- you won't lose interest in my everlasting sob stories either.

So this month, the novel that I've been focusing on in my English lessons is The Great Gatsby. It's pretty hard to believe that this novel wasn't a breakthrough when it was first published. It went to the extent that this work of Fitzgerald's wasn't even mentioned in his memoir. Now it's considered to be one of the most unparalleled pieces in American modern literature.

As you can probably guess, I absolutely loved the novel. Whether I enjoy writing essays about it is something else, but I'm getting there! Imagery and symbolism are in adundant supply which I think makes this novel simply amazing. I hope to watch the film so enough, probably during Chirstmas, and perhaps write a lot more [maybe?].

Another great topic that I studied [and still studying] is religious fundamentalism. This has always fascinated me. For those who don't know, fundamentalism is a term given to a concept/idea that expresses an extreme viewpoint regarding a religious matter. Truth is that fundamentalism isn't just about religion. You can be fundamentalist about anything, but nowadays its associated more with religious activity. This is quite a huge topic so there's lots to learn! But so far, I've focused on the origins and nature of fundamentalism and I was surprised to find out that the movement started when Darwin's very divisive theory of evolution came into prominence. It contradicted the theory of creationism stated in the Book of Genesis . It went to the extent that the State of Tennessee completely banned schools to teach evolution in science lessons- but of course, there will be that one person that's rather rebellious. If you're interested, then find out what happened here.

Apart from schoolwork, I've been focusing on increasing my motivation. I'm not going rewrite a sob story [I'm pretty sick about it], instead, I'm going to be positive [for the first time ever!].

Anyway, I've been finding some methods to help increase my motivation. After having a meeting with my Head of Year, I finally accepted the fact that failing ONE exam isn't the end of the world and actually, I finally acknowledge the fact that I'm extremely lucky to have a second chance to put things right. I've identified my mistakes and now it's all about moving on. So in response, I've created much of a wall.


Firstly, 100% credit goes to Amy who suggested this tactic to me! It's honestly helped so much and I can't express my gratitude enough. Just thank you. Thank you thank you thank you!

Also, this may work for some of you, but try to always think about results day. Think about how joyous you would be when you see your dream grades written on, what arguably is a very important sheet. This has motivated me so so much and it's made me pretty determined to get the grades I need/want. There's only one thing left though, hard work!

Rather than this being expression in August:

I want it to be like this:

   
Hopefully, positivity will prevail over the coming months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read comments and I'll get back to them all soon enough, so thank you! x