Tuesday 10 December 2013

"Bene disserer est finis logices..."

That roughly translates as "The end of logic is to dispute well", a quote directly taken from Christopher Marlowe's best known work Doctor Faustus. Although I no longer study A2 English Literature, I decided to give it a read and had presumptions that I wouldn't enjoy it seeing as this piece of literature is classed under Gothic. However, I was pleasantly surprised.


The last time I read Gothic literature was about three years ago, when I was studying Shakespeare's Macbeth; and I have to say, I absolutely disliked it.I found the plot quite monotonous and tiresome- but it’s the complete opposite with Faustus.

Written during the Renaissance Era, the drama does provoke some controversy (if not a lot). One particular example is Faustus desire to become a being greater than God, and the way he goes about with this is to start the practice of necromancy. Now to do this in a society where religious decrees are held with great regard- this is highly controversial, but somewhat entertaining. Not of the laughing sort, but with shock, like “OMG whaaat?!” But the show doesn’t end there. He decides to sell his soul to the devil in exchange for 24 years of life, in which he decides to engage in really (and I mean really) stupid activities. In a way, this could represent Marlowe’s maverick ways as he was a contentious figure himself.

What I failed to understand however, was whether Faustus was too clever or insane. 
His speech seems very controlled providing hints that he’s beyond ambitious and arrogant – an aspect that slightly put me off.

But all in all, I found the play quite intriguing. Certainly better than Macbeth, and I must say, it’s got me interested into Gothic literature overall. 


 

2 comments:

  1. I had to study this a couple of years ago and I think that made me unfairly hate it. I'm not sure it's one I'll revisit, I just remember it being a bit...odd!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I found some aspects quite difficult to understand; and others were quite stupid, but wholly entertaining. :)

      Delete

I always read comments and I'll get back to them all soon enough, so thank you! x