Sunday 8 December 2013

Thought of the Day: Being Grateful


I didn't  realise the extent of my pessimism until I saw this quote on my twitter feed this morning, and I must say, it got me thinking.

My friends always told me that I'm pessimistic of another kind, but I would dismiss that by saying "It's called realism". But that does not happen to be the case.

I don't think that I was being realistic by being such a negative person. If anything, I was being entirely ungrateful for everything I have. I've always had insanely high expectations/goals for everything, so I started to think that everything below that benchmark would be classed under failure. I fell into the trap of "a B grade is a fail", which is quite unhealthy or "I'm so ill" (for having a typical flu that is). But now, I realise that a B grade isn't failure at all - it's just I know that I have the potential to do better.

Most importantly, I realise how lucky I actually am for everything I have. There are millions of children around the world that haven't any access to education, and a similar number that don't have access to professional healthcare facilities or anything similar. Whereas, I live in a country where I can freely exercise my rights, have unlimited access to education and healthcare - and yet still I'm moaning.

There really isn't anything to moan about. If anything, I should be entirely grateful for everything I have. I should be optimistic and hopeful, rather than being pessimistic and downcast. There goes the popular saying, "Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance".

Just a simple thought of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read comments and I'll get back to them all soon enough, so thank you! x